Overcast
72°FOvercastFull Forecast

Minor damage to apartments after fire

Published: Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:50 a.m. CDT

A pot left on a stove caused a fire in an apartment April 12 at Prairie State Apartments, 407 N. Union Ave., Polo.

Polo Fire Chief Tony Karrow said no one was injured, and the fire was out before firefighters arrived on the scene.

"One of the residents heard the smoke alarm in the apartment and went in and put the fire out with a fire extinguisher," he said. "We didn't put any water on it."

He said residents of the apartment complex were evacuated briefly while firefighters cleared the smoke from Apt. 30, where the fire occurred, and the area around it.

The resident of the apartment was not at home when the fire occurred, Karrow said.

Firefighters from the Mt. Morris and Dixon City Fire Departments assisted Polo with opening walls to check for fire and ventilating the building.

Karrow said the fire caused only minor damage to the apartment complex, which is owned by the Ogle County Housing Authority.

More News

Reader Poll

The first day of school in Oregon was Aug. 14. What do you think of that start date?
Just right
Too early
Too late
No opinion