Firefighters saved a house from serious damage Monday afternoon when a fire destroyed the nearby garage in Mt. Morris.
Mt. Morris Fire Chief Rob Hough said the cause of the fire at the home of Terry and Dawn Stevens, 102 S. Fletcher Ave., was undetermined as of Tuesday morning, and the Office of the State Fire Marshal is assisting with the investigation.
"We arrived to find the wood frame unattached garage fully involved with fire venting from the roof, and some fire extension to the residence," Hough said. "We were able to rapidly get the fire knocked down and extinguished. All though the garage is a total loss, the house a mere 5 feet away sustained only minor fire damage."
The Stevens family was at home when the fire was discovered at 3:25 p.m., he said. No one was injured.
The Byron, Oregon, and Polo Fire Departments assisted at the scene, Hough said, as well as with another fire call and two ambulance calls that came in while firefighters were still at the garage fire.